Church Parish Assistant / Youth Minister
We are seeking an experienced individual who will be responsible for the Youth Ministry at Saints Raphael, Nicholas, and Irene Greek Orthodox Church. We expect the successful candidate to be able to build and mentor a team of volunteers to fulfill the mission of the ministry. A candidate must exhibit a personal and growing relationship with God, a teachable spirit, and a healthy family life. They must evidence a growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ through spiritual disciplines i.e. prayer, Bible study, etc. Above all else, this person will be a Spirit-led follower of Jesus Christ with a passion for youth and a clear calling to our church.
Basic Job Description:
Provide leadership and oversight for all aspects of the Young Adult League, Sunday school, GOYA, Hope, and Joy so that students can know and follow Jesus Christ through our Orthodox Teachings.
- Assist the Parish Priest in serving the community with Religious Education.
- Create and execute a long-term church aligned vision for Saints Raphael, Nicholas, and Irene’s youth ministry.
- Lead and organize effective youth programs implementing fellowship, worship, biblical teaching, discipleship, and evangelism, as well as ministry and mission opportunities.
- Recruit, train and shepherd volunteers with diverse gifts and personalities.
- Promote an environment where students feel connected to each other as a church family; where each student is valued and celebrated.
- Invest and engage relationally with youth.
- Seek to integrate youth ministry into all phases of church life to create a culture that is intentionally intergenerational, striving to unite with and complement other church ministries.
- Support Saints Raphael, Nicholas, and Irene Greek Orthodox Church parents in effectively fulfilling their Orthodox parenting roles, in concert with future pastoral staff.
- Provide biblical counseling and spiritual direction to team leaders and students on an individual basis as needed.
- Create fun and meaningful opportunities for all youth to connect and grow together.
- Ensure safe and healthy classroom/small group environments
- Maintain contact with students and parents, keeping them informed of ongoing activities. Keep parents updated on ministry strategies and plans in a way that encourages partnership and involvement.
- Provide clear weekly communication to youth and parents of events/activities.
- Explore and implement outreach events to connect students and families in the local community to our church community. Foster cross collaboration between ministries and area churches
- Promote the unity, direction and vision of Saints Raphael, Nicholas, and Irene Greek Orthodox Church by participating in staff and leadership meetings.
- Develop a full year calendar that will accomplish our mission and vision as a ministry as well as complement our mission and vision as a church.
- Carefully plan and manage the Youth Ministry budgets
- Stay current with youth ministry practices by reading, attending youth leadership conferences, etc.
- Other duties as required.
- Gifted and called to youth ministry, loves young people, and has a passion for evangelism and outreach, both personally and at the ministry level.
- 1-5 years prior professional leadership experience in a growing youth ministry with preference given to those with experience.
- Formal theological training and Youth Ministry from an Orthodox perspective.
- Is an engaging teacher, with a strong biblical and theological background, who is in agreement with Saints Raphael, Nicholas, and Irene’s Vision Statement.
- Organized, prepared, punctual, proactive, self-starter with a positive attitude.
- Willing to become an engaged member of the Saints Raphael, Nicholas, and Irene community.
- Thrives within a team environment; with the Priest, the Parish Council, church staff, administrative team, and volunteers.
- Self-motivated and able to work without close supervision; flexible to changes in procedures and/or direction.
- Possesses qualities catalytic to teen ministry; for example, has a sense of humor, energetic, and authentic.
- Demonstrates a strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Possesses strong computer skills & familiarity with social media tools and their use for ministering to youth.
- Lead staff efforts to maintain the youth ministry social media presence i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Has basic experience working with AV, multimedia, tech and presentation software.
- Required to complete the Orthodox Metropolis Background check training for all members of the community that interact with our youth.
- This is a full-time, salaried position in accordance with standard employment practices.
To apply please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org